Monday, October 6, 2008

To The Unknowns

Recently I read an article in an American Legion newsletter regarding what is commonly referred to as the "Tomb of the Unknown Soldier" (the official title is "Tomb of the Unknowns"), which is located in Arlington Cemetery. Having my curiosity piqued I did some research and came across the "Sentinels Creed". (The Sentinels are the military "guards" at the tomb that have stood watch over the tomb continuously since 1937 - 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, no matter the weather or circumstance!) As I read the creed I thought about my own dedication to Christ and my responsibility in living the Christian life. If we attempt to honor men in this way may it encourage us to live more dedicated and honoring to our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Sentinels Creed

My dedication to this sacred duty is total and wholehearted.
In the responsibility bestowed on me never will I falter.
And with dignity and perseverance my standard will remain perfection.
Through the years of diligence and praise and the discomfort of the elements,
I will walk my tour in humble reverence to the best of my ability.
It is he who commands the respect I protect.
His bravery that made us so proud.
Surrounded by well meaning crowds by day, alone in the thoughtful peace of night,
this soldier will, in honored glory, rest under my eternal vigilance.

The inscription on the outside of the granite tomb reads:

"Here Rests
In Honored Glory
An American Soldier
Known But To God"

2 Timothy 2:1-3 Thou therefore, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus. And the things that thou hast heard of me among many witnesses, the same commit thou to faithful men, who shall be able to teach others also. Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ.

No comments: