Saturday, January 16, 2010

Signs - and Wonder


No Parking? I can park here I've got important business and besides I'll only be a few minutes. Speed Limit 55? - means nothing, I'm in a hurry. No Passing Zone? I can pass as long as I can make it. No Smoking area....are you kidding, I have my rights.

I have noticed the inability of a lot of people to follow directions posted on signs.

It appears that those who ignore signs might feel that they apply to everyone else and not to them specifically. They must feel exempt, or special, or beyond the authority of the sign. In other words, they will be autonomous. I .... me.....my.....above everyone else.

"This sign must be for someone else, certainly it is not meant for me."

"Why should I have to obey this sign?"

"I don't agree with this sign, therefore I don't have to obey it."

This attitude is another indicator of sin exhibited by our self-love...our selfishness. Is it any different than Satan's challenge to Eve to question God's authority - and by extension all authority outside of ourselves?

We theoretically agree with Hebrews 13: 17 which requires us to "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves..." but tend to ignore 1 Peter 2:13,14 which commands us to "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; Or unto governors...."

Is this lack of respect for authority as evidenced by our disregarding signs and promoting "self" the result of our pagan culture affecting the Christian or does the Christian's attitude of self-love contribute to it's cause?


posted by john d.



No comments: