Saturday, August 30, 2008

The Need of Grace

"I find it extremely difficult in this age to minister to people, especially when you get in a more social setting. The more social it gets and the farther from this local assembly I get, the more I try to hide behind the "X-Mass" tree and make sure they can't find me, when it comes time to say the blessing. Really, to tell you the truth, I just don't go anymore. I really don't hide behind the Christmas tree, I just stay home and don't go anymore. Why? Because at no other time of the year do people want somebody religious around them speak of (how) holy they are, to speak (of how) blessed are they, and say everybody's all right. Well, everybody is not all right! Grace is not to everybody, and peace is not to everybody. As bad as I hate it, friend, it isn't even to those that I have a tenderness in my heart for that may be related to me physically but have no understanding of Christ and the gospel. And there's not a thing I can do about it. I'm going to tell you something about your kids, and I'm gonna talk about mine. I'll tell you about my family. There is not a one of them that is going to heaven and every last one of them is going to go to hell if they don't bow to King Jesus and repent of their sin. I'm still going to give them a Christmas present. If they need food, I'll give it to them. If they need a place to sleep, I'll give it to them. I'll take care of them and do all I can for them, but I have no idea at all in my head that a single one of us shall see heaven except by grace, and that by faith. Dear soul, my kids and yours too may wind up as alcoholics in an insane asylum having wasted their lives, and become wretches, if God doesn't do something about it. If they don't do something about their sin, everyone I know is a candidate for hell, and a candidate for the nut house, and will not have a moment's peace in their life. They will drive you crazy with them, if they can, except they have the peace of God that passes understanding and that by grace through faith. That's the gospel. That's the gospel."

From a sermon preached by Pastor Gene Breed of the Grace Baptist Church, Jonesboro, Ga. Titled, "The Grace of Christ - A Gospel Message - Galatians 1:1-5".




No comments: